2008-12-22

"No more fockin ballet!"

Yesterday, I saw the movie Billy Elliot. Don't really know why I haven't seen it before, but probably for all I knew about it was that it is about a boy who wants to dance ballet, and that didn't really attract me. Even though many said that it is really good and that I should see it, I have retained the same view of it and never given it a chance. But then I recently heard that it takes place in County Durham, became more interested and decided to finally see it. I was very happily surprised to see that it was nothing like I thought it would be (a bit sissy I must admit), and I liked it immediately from the beginning! I mean, a film that starts with a T.Rex song can't be bad, and the music in the rest of the film is fantastic too! The story is absolutely brilliant, and I became very much affected by their struggles, but it made me laugh a lot too. Since the town Everington is fictional it's hard to recognize any specific places in the film, but the long lines of brick houses is something that for me is typically English and the dialect sounds very Nortern. Another thing that I could relate to, and made me laugh, was Billy's conversation with a posh kid in London:
Kid: Hello! Nerve-racking, isn't it? Where are you from?
Billy: Everington, County Durham.
Kid: Durham? Isn't there an amazing cathedral?
Billy: Don't know. Never been.
Even though I've been in Durham City for almost three months I haven't really visit the cathedral more than for the University matriculation and the Christmas carol service, but I certainly will take more of a look inside. I'm really glad though that I took a look at Billy Elliot, because it was the type of film I like the most; a great story, funny but touching that makes you bought smile and your eyes almost a bit weary. Right now it has for me become an instant classic and personal favourite!

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

hehe... ja tagit mig lite vatten över huvudet med top 50-listan... Har inte börjat rangordna dom än, och det lär ju bli det svåraste...

slänger du upp din lista här på bloggen?