2009-01-12

Good winter

When I did my list of this year's best albums I also went through many magazines' year lists. One album that I saw in many of them was Bon Iver's "For Emma, Forever Ago". First I didn't take much notice to it, and when I listened to it I didn't think it was anything special (as much when I listen to it the first time) as singer/songwriters normally isn't my cup of tea, but then I gave it another chance and liked it more and more. I wouldn't want to change my list, but this album ranks very highly for me now as I've listened to it a lot. Behind the name Bon Iver, which is an intentional misspelling of 'bon hiver' (french for 'good winter'), is Justin Vernon who was a part of a group that later broke up, and when he also broke up with a girlfriend he went home to Wisconsin and settled in a cabin by himself for three months and recorded the album. The songs are amazingly beautiful with Justin's high pitched voice and lots of voice overs that make it sounds very deep and emotional.
Even though the snow now is gone and the weather is a bit more mild it was a week ago almost down to -15 and lots of snow and bright skies, so I think it has been a very good winter and this album is like a soundtrack to a cold day.

"Skinny Love"


"The Wolves (Act I And II)"

Inga kommentarer: